Saturday 12 March 2011

Earthquake aftermath

The quake was just under a day ago and the aftershocks seem to have died down just about. The last strong one I felt woke me up at about 4.30am and was followed by 2 earthquake alarms from my phone which meant I couldn't get back to sleep for worry.

Since the quake happened I've been watching a combination of BBC news, NHK news, twitter, the Japan meteorological website and the British consulate website as to what to do. As the details of the effects of the earthquake spread we're just shocked by the devastation. Not only for the people dead or missing, but now everyone is very concerned about the nuclear issue.

Rumours are abound and no one really seems to know anything - I'm meant to be flying to Ishigaki, Okinawa tomorrow but, not only does it seem insensitive to go on holiday during a national emergency, but I'm learning that, apparently, the Austrian embassy has advised Valentina to evacuate out of the country. I'm getting more and more alarmed by the situation and I don't know what to do. To make it worse it's the middle of Friday night so I can't contact family or friends (without scaring them to death, no one likes middle of the night phonecalls ) nor my university for advice. I guess all we can do is sit tight, watch the news, and stay calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment