Monday 14 March 2011

Change of plan

News:

  • On Wednesday I will be returning to the UK
  • We are still having aftershocks over 6 magnitude
  • I'm lucky I already have my re-entry permit - apparently queues at the immigration office were down the stairs, out the door and down the street i.e. several hundred people long.
  • A one way ticket Tokyo-London = ~£1,200-£2,000
  • A return ticket Tokyo-London, London-Tokyo = £800. Yes, really.
  • The shops are either not getting deliveries or people really are panic buying. There is still plenty of fresh food to be bought but bottled water, cup noodles, onigiri, bread, milk and toilet paper are sold out in many shops.
  • Blackouts are not affecting central Tokyo but train services have been reduced in expectation of the power cuts.
  • September 2010 - April 2011 I will have been in the air for 84 hours and travelled ~42,000miles, not to mention the 2+ hours of travelling on either side of those long distance flights. Plus, I don't sleep on planes.
  • Thank you to everyone who has been asking if I am okay or contacting James or my parents and asking after me. I feel very loved. I have been so lucky and my thoughts are with those who were not so.

No comments:

Post a Comment