Thursday 7 October 2010

Sushi and Zojoji Shrine

Having got off the Yurikamome transit train in Shimbashi, David and I decided to have a wander to explore this new area. This is one of the things I really love about Tokyo; there is just so so much to explore. You can get off at any station and around it will be a hub of activity, people and neon lights to challenge Picadilly Circus. I've been asked by a few people how far from the centre of Tokyo my dorm is and, I don't think it's Hyperbole when I say, I don't actually know how to judge where the centre of Tokyo is. Everywhere is so busy; everywhere has a unique and exciting charm to it. Frankly, Tokyo is overwhelming for much of the time.


After wandering about a few streets and David nearly buying an ipod, we decided we were hungry. Disappointed with the lack of sushi I'd eaten since arriving 3 weeks ago (Takadanobaba is known for its ramen, so pretty much every restaurant is just that; ramen). So after a few hours exploring we decided to find some sushi.


The chef stood in the middle of the conveyor belt making lots of dishes before adding them to the belt (just like yo sushi but with a lot less corporate branding). I actually couldn't work out how he got in there; there must be a trap door or something. I also don't know where he kept all the fish we was preparing, it just turned up from below the counter.

 There were lots of different types of fish but I stuck to what I knew. Salmon, Tuna, an omelette one which I didn't like as it was too sweet, and a mug of green tea.

David and I got really excited when we first entered and realised it was a conveyor belt restaurant. The restaurant was full of silent Japanese people, eating their sushi and keeping to themselves whilst David and I were chatting loudly and taking photos of everything. I don't think we really fitted in.

After a lovely and surprisingly cheap meal, we set off to find Tokyo Tower. We wandered a few blocks in the general direction we thought it was in, when from behind a sky scraper it popped up on the horizon.
It was about 4pm at this point and the sun was starting to get low but it doesn't get dark until about 6-6.30pm. We were trying to time our trip to the tower as best we could, as, upon the advice of the guidebook, Tokyo Tower is only really worth the trip in the dark. We had time to kill and we happily stumbled upon a huge temple in the shadow of the tower called Zojo-ji.

 The Temple was huge, and each of the buildings was very impressive and ornate.

 A large bell housed in a wooden structure.

 A view of the bell from the side. See the cat watching me in the corner?

 The entrance way to the temple. It was absolutely massive. Sadly they'd covered some of the carving in netting to keep out birds, I suppose.


 A view from further back so you can see the enormity of it.

 Where you wash your hands before entering the temple.

 Another entrance to the temple.

 What was so striking about the temple was the fabulous juxtaposition of these traditional style buildings against the sky scrapers and, below, with Tokyo Tower looming in the background.

 As we finished wandering around the temple we decided it was time to make our way to Tokyo Tower.



Next post, the views from Tokyo Tower.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- tokyo looks pretty frickin large. So many skyscrapers!! I love all the photos- it really gives a sense of how different it all is out there: the earth moving thing makes it seem pretty alien in a cool way. Like being on another planet in a film or something. And if you come back to England at some point please please please bring me a can of pancake drink? It represents the fulfilment of so many unspoken culinary dreams of mine...

    Germany's gone surprisingly well- the last two weeks have done a wierd mixture of flying past and taking forever. Saarbrucken and I are going to get along well, I think.

    Have a good week, and keep up the blog- it's really fascinating to read/look!

    ReplyDelete